In both comfort and technology, the Vancity Theatre is Vancouver's most exciting cinema.
Welcome to the Vancity Theatre technical information page. We are proud to offer equipment, services, and expertise rarely available in cinemas. The following describes these services and equipment in detail. Rental rates depend on the technical requirements of your event. Please inquire when booking. It is also possible for us to bring in additional equipment as needed (additional charges may apply). If you do not find what you need on this document, please ask and we will do our best to accommodate your requests.
DCP (Digital Cinema Package) Projection (Theatre)
- Christie Digital CP-2210 DCP projector: 12,000 lumens.
- Christie Digital IMB (S2 Integrated Media Block), with HFR (High Frame Rate) license.
- Christie Digital CineIPM2K scaler/scan converter for alternative content interface.
- 7.1 channel digital audio output.
Video Projection (Theatre)
- Christie S-9 Roadster data projector, 3-chip DLP, 8500 lumens, SXGA, xenon light source.
- Multiple zoom lenses to accommodate any image size request.
- Digital and Analog video inputs.
Film Projection (35mm) (Theatre)
- 2 x Kinoton FP-30D Variable Speed Film Projectors, with Schneider Super Cinelux lenses.
- Analog and Digital soundhead readers equipped with visible red LED’s for Cyan track operation.
- Both projectors are outfitted with shaft encoders for bi-phase operation and double system screenings.
- Supports the following aspect ratios: 1.33, 1.37, 1.66, 1.78, 1,85, 2.39 (Cinemascope).
- 20 min reel changeover operation for maximum flexibility and print care. A platter film transport system is not used at this facility.
- Each 35mm projector uses a 3000 Watt xenon lamp and Irem power supply, and meets the SMPTE 16fl light requirements.
Film Projection (16mm) (Theatre)
- Our existing Hortson Languedoc 16mm projector can be installed with advance notice.
- Supports 18 and 24 fps operation.
- Supplied with a 1600 Watt Xenon lamp.
- Equipped with an anamorphic lens attachment for cinemascope content.
Video Projection (Café)
- Christie LW-600 LCD Projector, 6000 lumens.
- Native 16:9 WXGA 720P resolution, dual lamp operation.
- 3 x motorized zoom lenses to accommodate all possible image sizes.
- Ability to patch A/V performances between theatre and café for overflow and special request seating.
Video Projection Seymour Street
- Christie LX-66a LCD Projector, 6500 lumens.
- XGA native resolution, dual lamp operation.
- 16' x 9' Rear projection screen facing Seymour Street.
Video Playback Sources (Theatre or Café)
- Sony MSW M2000 Digital Video Cassette Recorder.
- Supports Digital Betacam, Betacam SP, Betacam SX, IMX MPEG (PAL and NTSC).
- Sony DSR-11 DVCam and Mini-DV Player/Recorder (PAL and NTSC).
- Sony HDV 1080i Player/Recorder (PAL and NTSC).
- OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Player.
- OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray Player.
- HDCam and HDCam-SR decks can be provided upon request. Additional rental charges apply.
Computer File Playback
- Mac Airbook for H264, Pro-Res, Quicktime, and MOV files.
- Macbook for Powerpoint and Keynote presentations.
HD Cable Television (Theatre and Café)
- Motorola HD Tuner for live broadcast programming.
Auditorium Stage End
- MDI Micro-perforated matte white screen surface (33’-8” x 20’-0”). Gain factor 1.0.
- Variable, 4-way moveable, black masking to properly frame and mask any aspect ratio and image size.
- Portable stage platform risers for live performances and presentations (16’ W x 8’ D x 8” H).
- Full size lift (waterfall) curtain.
- Podium/Lectern with adjustable height, light, and microphone.
A/V Patching at Stage End (Theatre)
Access to the installed and portable sound systems and video projectors is available at the front of the auditorium near the lectern/podium as follows:
- 11 installed analog audio tie lines.
- 2 x Cat 5e ethernet connections for wired access to the internet, and communication to the projection booth.
- 5 x RG-6 tie lines for sending digital video and audio signals to the projection booth: (SD/HD-SDI, AES EBU), or analog video signals to the projection booth: Component, Composite, VGA, or 5-wire computer signals.
- RS-232 Serial connection for motion control or device communication and control in the booth.
- Wireless internet access.
- Wired internet access.
Installed Loudspeaker System – DCP, Film, Video, Computer Content
- 3 x JBL 4632 3-way loudspeaker systems for the Left Center Right screen channels.
- 2 x JBL 4642-A subwoofer cabinets (four 18” transducers total).
- 12 x JBL 8330a surround speakers (main floor seating).
- 8 x JBL Control 5 surround speakers (balcony seating).
- 9 x QSC DCA Series professional power amplifiers.
- 2 x Electro-Voice Sx100a self-powered PA speakers mounted behind the screen, independent of the house film sound system, for live performances.
Installed Audio Processing System – DCP, Film, Video, Computer Content
Dolby Digital CP-650 Cinema Processor supports the following sound formats:
- Dolby Digital 5.1, 7.1, Surround EX, and Pro-Logic audio formats.
- External 6 channel analog input.
- External 5.1/7.1 AES audio inputs.
Dolby Digital Media Adapter supports the following sound formats:
- External 5.1 channels of discreet analog or AES digital audio sources.
- Dolby Pro-Logic decoding of encoded Left Total/Right Total analog or digital sources.
- Dolby noise reduction can be applied to all printmaster sources.
- Dolby E decoding.
- Ability to disembed Dolby E data stream from SD/HD-SDI signals for use with Sony J-series HDCam deck. ($50 rental fee for the disembedder)
- Dolby Digital Consumer 5.1 AC-3 decoding from Blu-ray, DVD, and HDTV Cable sources.
Portable Sound Equipment
- Multi-channel transformer isolated interface for unbalanced signals.
- Audio Technica AT-MX351 auto mic mixer.
- 4 x Audio Technica wireless handheld microphones.
- 4 x Audio Technica wireless lav microphones.
- 2 x Audio Technica head worn microphones.
- 7 x Audio Technica Pro goose neck table microphones with mute bases for panel discussions.
- 7 x Shure wired microphones.
- Mackie CFX12 MKII mixing console.
- Yamaha 01v mixing console.
- 2 x Electro-Voice Sx100a self-powered loudspeakers with stands.
- 4 x Electro-Voice TL-3512 18” Subwoofers and QSC power amplifiers.
- 120 foot 28 channel audio snake.
- 4 x JBL stage monitors for live applications.
- Misc. boom and straight mic stands.
Installed A/V Equipment – Atrium Café
- Architectural Acoustics Mic/Line mixer supporting 6 mic and 4 line level stereo inputs.
- Wireless microphone capability.
- 6 x JBL wall mounted loudspeakers.
- Motorola HDTV cable tuner for live broadcast performances.
- Blackout drapes to isolate the Café from sunlight and atrium background noise.
Lighting – Auditorium
- Theatrical lighting for presentations, interviews, panel discussions, and live performances.
- ETC SmartFade lighting console.
- Follow spot light.
If you would like to receive information about renting the Vancity Theatre, please contact us.