Virtual Creator Talk:
Writer / Director / Producer, Citizen K
Thursday, May 7, 5pm (PDT)
livestreamed via Crowdcast
Join us for a conversation with Oscar and multiple Emmy award-winning director Alex Gibney as he shares his insight into two of his most recent projects: Citizen K, a meticulously researched portrait of Putin’s Russia; and his latest collaboration, The Innocence Files, a Netflix series focused on the work to overturn wrongful convictions in the US. Gibney’s critically acclaimed credits include Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief and Taxi to the Dark Side.
Host: Tom Charity, VIFF Year-Round Programmer
- Click the button below and a new window will open to our streaming platform, CrowdCast
- The cost to attend the Creator Talk is $10 (CAD)
- Click 'Book Ticket' in the top right hand corner.
- Enter your email address.
- Enter your credit card details and postal code. Payments are securely processed through Stripe
- If purchasing in advance, you'll receive an email containing a link to access the Creator Talk and an option to add the event to your online calendar as a reminder!
- You'll also receive an email notification ten minutes before the Creator Talk starts with a link to access the event.
- We'll be taking your questions to put to Alex Gibney, and we will ask as many as we can towards the end of the discussion as we can.
- You can submit your questions just after purchasing your ticket (on the page that counts down to the event, click 'Ask a Question' at the bottom of the screen).
Hailed as “the most important documentarian of our time” by Esquire Magazine Alex Gibney has a signature cinematic style that lends itself to penetrating, gripping, and deeply insightful documentaries. His work has been recognized with an Academy Award, multiple Emmy Awards, a Grammy Award, several Peabody Awards, the DuPont-Columbia Award, The Independent Spirit Award and The Writers Guild Awards. Alex was honored with the International Documentary Association’s (IDA) Career Achievement Award in 2013, the inaugural Christopher Hitchens Prize in 2015, and the Robert J. Flaherty Award in 2019.
Some of Gibney’s notable films include the triple Emmy and Peabody award-winning Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief and the Academy Award-winning Taxi to The Dark Side. Citizen K premiered at 76th Venice International Film Festival in 2019 and was released theatrically this year. His latest project, The Innocence Files, is a collaboration with acclaimed directors Roger Ross Williams, Jed Rothstein, Liz Garbus, Andy Grieve and Sarah Dowland. Currently streaming on Netflix, the series chronicles The Innocence Project and other organisations in the Innocence Network’s ongoing fight to overturn wrongful convictions.