The VIFF AMP Talent Accelerator is a professional development program dedicated to providing emerging musicians, composers, managers, and aspiring music supervisors free, low-barrier access to the VIFF AMP Music in Film Summit, plus exclusive mentorship and networking sessions for creators from underrepresented communities who are looking to explore or expand their career into music and film.
Over October 8-10, Talent Accelerator participants will have the opportunity to meet, learn from, and be inspired by internationally-acclaimed creators and decision-makers from the film and music industry. The program is designed to help facilitate meaningful connections and equip participants with the knowledge they need to excel to the next level of their careers.
Through a series of panel discussions, masterclasses, case studies, music showcases and networking opportunities tailored to professional interests, participants are invited to learn about the art of music supervision, how to work with a sync agent to get music before tastemakers in film, television, advertising and games, diversity in the music marketplace, and the technique of composing for the screen.
- A free pass to the VIFF AMP 2021 Music in Film Summit, including access to all masterclasses, panel discussions, workshops, and music events
- A $300 stipend to go towards your professional development
- Mentorship and networking sessions, exclusive to the Talent Accelerator cohort and tailored to the professional interests of Talent Accelerator participants
- Entry to watch SOUNDOFF and the VIFF AMP Music Showcase
- An info session with industry advice on how to make the most out of the summit
- Access to a private Talent Accelerator online forum to connect with fellow cohort members
- Discounts on select VIFF films and events
The deadline for applications has been extended to Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 5pm PDT.
- Be an emerging* musician, composer, manager, and/or music supervisor
- Be living in Canada and able to travel to Vancouver to attend all in-person sessions over Oct 8–10
- Self-identify as facing institutional barriers within mainstream music and/or film industry and/or independent film and/or music communities**
- Not have participated in previous Talent Accelerator editions
* For the purpose of this application, you are considered an 'emerging creator' if you meet one of the following:
- Are in the early stages of your career in music/film, usually within the first few years
- Have had your work featured in no more than three feature films, TV shows or video games
- Are enrolled in, or have recently graduated from, a related degree/diploma/training program
- Demonstrate a commitment to devoting more time to your practice
- Demonstrate a desire to gain more skills, resources and influences to serve your practice as it pertains to music in film
**VIFF is committed to offering opportunities to those who are often under- or misrepresented in the film industry and beyond. We value a diverse and inclusive industry that’s reflective of manifold interests and encourage applications from individuals that have been marginalized based on sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, neurotype, disability, racialization, status as an Indigenous person, political belief, religion, marital or family status, low income or low economic status.
Applicants will be asked to provide:
- Links to samples of their work
- Statements regarding what they hope to gain through their participation in the program
- Applications open: June 23
- Applications close:
August 3,Extended to August 8
- Applicants notified: by August 20
- VIFF AMP Summit speakers announced: August/September
- Talent Accelerator Intro Session: last week of September
- VIFF AMP Keynote: October 8
- VIFF AMP Day 1: October 9
- VIFF AMP Day 2: October 10
VIFF AMP is an annual summit celebrating the intersection between film and music. The summit runs concurrently with the Vancouver International Film Festival during the first week of October. For the 2021 edition, we are planning a hybrid event taking place in Vancouver over October 8-10. The Talent Accelerator is a cohort of emerging musicians, composers, managers, and aspiring music supervisors who are provided free access to the VIFF AMP Summit, plus exclusive mentorship and networking opportunities.
The Talent Accelerator provides low-barrier access to the VIFF AMP Music in Film Summit, including opportunities to connect and learn from world-class industry experts through networking events, panels, and workshops that are not available for general VIFF audiences. Accepted participants will also gain exclusive access to a networking session with delegates.
VIFF is committed to offering opportunities to those who are often under- or misrepresented in the film industry and beyond. We value a diverse and inclusive industry that’s reflective of manifold interests and encourage applications from individuals that have been marginalized based on sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, neurotype, disability, racialization, status as an Indigenous person, political belief, religion, marital or family status, low income or low economic status.
Please note: As we anticipate the majority of Talent Accelerator sessions taking place in-person at venues in Vancouver-proper over October 8-10, applicants should be located in or able to travel to Vancouver during this time.
It is free to apply and participate in the VIFF AMP Talent Accelerator. Each participant will also receive a $300 stipend to go towards their professional development.
Applications from all of the Canadian provinces are welcome. This year we are unable to welcome international participants, however all the conference sessions will be available online on our VIFF Connect platform after the event.
Note: Participants must be able to attend the program in person and are responsible for their own travel and accommodation costs. All sessions are held in English, which applicants will need to be able to speak and understand fluently.
Applications for the 2021 VIFF AMP Talent Accelerator will open on June 23, 2021 and close on August 3, 2021. You can apply via this form.
Each application to VIFF AMP Talent Accelerator is carefully reviewed by a selection committee comprising at least three representatives from music/film industry and community representatives. Using an established set of criteria, the committee will review each application to collectively determine Talent Accelerator participants for 2021. Participants will be selected based on their demonstrated determination in pursuit of a career in the film/music industry.
For any additional inquiries, please connect with us at email@example.com.
"The mentorship sessions were absolutely phenomenal. To have the opportunity to connect directly with industry professionals was the most engaging and informative experience in the program."
" ... it was intriguing to see how other artists operate and navigate a multitude of industrial and socioeconomic obstacles. There was so much tactile, actionable and real-world information provided - it felt honest."
"It was superbly informative to learn about everyone’s journey and the versatility of sync placements and opportunities available for artists."